Field Joint Coating
FIELD JOINT COATING
VISCOWRAP is an amorphous (non-crystalline) a-polar viscous elastic solid polyolefin coating in roll form used for the protection of under- and aboveground substrates against corrosion.VISCOWRAP is a 2-layer system that consists of a corrosion protective inner wrap (VISCOWRAP) and mechanical protective outer wrap or outer coating. Viscotaq has proven to be nonshielding due to its van der Waals bonding on a molecular level and its amorphous nature forming a continuous coating.
STEP 01: SURFACE PREPARATION
- Minimum surface preparation should be ST2/ SSPC-SP2 (Hand Tool Clean).
- Clean surface with denatured alcohol or acetone to remove any remaining dust, grease and mois ture.
- Surface of the substrate should be 5°F+ above the dew point.
- The adjacent coating should be roughened by means of sand paper or a grinding machine (If applicable). Sugges ted overlap on to the exis ting pipe coating: < 30” pipelines 4” overlap, > 30” pipelines 6” overlap.
STEP 02: VISCOWRAP APPLICATION
- VISCOTAQ VISCOWRAP is applied by removing the release liner and placing adhesive side on the pipe. Initial wrap should be a straight circumference wrap.
- Once initial straight circumference wrap is completed, wrap with slight tension and a minimum 1/2” overlap. Wrap at an angle to create a smooth overlap.
- For coating repairs and difficult to reach areas VISCOWRAP can be applied in pieces, strips or individual circumference wraps (cigarette wrap).
STEP 03: PE/PVC OUTERWRAP
- Outerwrap should be wrapped with tension and a minimum of 50% overlap.
- First wrap and termination wrap should be a straight circumference wrap.
- A 1⁄4” section of ViscoWrap should still be visible at after the PVC or PE Outer Wrap had been applied.