Tank Equipments and Flame Arresters
PRESSURE AND VACUUM RELIEF VENTS
VAPOR & FLAME CONTROL EQUIPMENT
Vents that are specifically designed to prevent storage tank damage by relieving internal pressure and vacuum accumulations that occur as a result of day-to-day operations (filling, emptying and atmospheric temperature changes). These products also minimize product evaporation losses.Pallets in the vent housing allow intake of air and outflow of vapors as the tank normally breathes in and out. Pallets open and close to permit only the intake or outlet relief necessary to remain within permissible working pressures and avoid damage to tank.
END-OF-LINE PRESSURE / VACUUM CONSERVATION VENT
Protectoseal Series 8540H Endof-Line Pressure / Vacuum Conservation Breather Vent provides pressure and vacuum relief. Pallets in the housing allow intake of air and release of vapors as the tank breathes normally. Keeps tank pressure within permissible range to avoid tank damage.
PIPE-AWAY PRESSURE / VACUUM CONSERVATION VENT
Protectoseal Series 18540 PipeAway Pressure / Vacuum Conservation Vent provides pressure and vacuum relief. Relieving vapors are piped away through a flanged connection.
END OF LINE CONSERVATION VENT
Pallets in vent housing minimize air and vapor loss as the tank “breathes”. They open and close just enough to maintain safe working pressures and avoid damage to the tank. An integral flame arrester protects tank contents against fire and explosion caused by exterior sources of ignition.
- Pressure / Vacuum Conservation Vents w/ Flame Arrester, Series 830
- End-of-Line Pressure / Vacuum Conservation Vents, Series 8540H
- Improved Performance, Aluminum, End-of-Line Pressure / Vacuum Vent, Series 8540G
- Pipe-Away Pressure / Vacuum Conservation Vents, Series 18540
- In-Line Pressure / Vacuum Conservation Vents, Series 8740
- End-of-Line Vacuum Vents, Series 6240
- Side Mounted Vacuum Vent, Series 16240
- Weatherhood Free Vent, Series 5200
- Pressure / Vacuum Relief Thief Hatch, Series 3908
- Fast Inspection, Easy Maintenance. The design and lightweight of the entire unit permit easy, convenient handling for inspection and maintenance.
- Maintains Accurate Pressure Settings. Setpoints are accurate to within +/- 3% across the entire range of available settings.
- Air-Cushioned Seating. A flat, smooth diaphragm of FEP film is supported on both sides of an annular channel to form a floating air seal with the seat. An outer support rim assures proper seating.
- Automatic Condensate Drainage. Self-draining housing body and drip rings keep condensate away from seating surfaces. The vent is protected from freezing, binding, and clogging.
- Low-Leakage. Vent leakage is no more than 1 SCFH at 90% of the set pressure. Pressure tested against leakage through castings and gasketed joints.
EMERGENCY PRESSURE RELIEF VENTS
Emergency Vents are designed to prevent the catastrophic rupture of a storage tank by relieving the internal pressure accumulation caused by external fire involvement of the tank.
END-OF-LINE EMERGENCY PRESSURE VENT
The Protectoseal Series 7800, End-of-Line Emergency Pressure Vents are designed to provide emergency relief capacity beyond that furnished by the operating vents on tanks, low pressure vessels and piping in the event of external fire involvement. Vapors are relieved to atmosphere.
HINGED EMERGENCY PRESSURE MANHOLE COVER VENT
Protectoseal Series 51700 Hinged Emergency Pressure Manhole Cover Vent provides emergency pressure relief for storage tanks that are exposed to an external fire. They are designed for installation on the manhole openings of tanks and provide a means of relieving large volumes of vapor, beyond the capacity of a normal operating vent.
EMERGENCY PRESSURE MANHOLE COVER VENT
Protectoseal Series 53300 Emergency Pressure Manhole Cover Vent provides emergency pressure relief for storage tanks where vacuum relief is being provided for by a separate operating vent.
- Emergency Pressure Vents, Series No. 7800
- Emergency Pressure Manhole Cover Vents, Series No. 53300
- Spring Loaded Emergency Pressure Vent, Series No. 54000
- Emergency Pressure / Vacuum Manhole Cover Vents, Series No. 52500
- Emergency Pressure / Vacuum Vents, Series No. 52600
- Hinged Emergency Pressure Manhole Cover Vents, Series No. 51600
- Hinged Emergency Pressure Manhole Cover Vents, Series No. 51700
- Fast Inspection, Easy MaintenanceDesign and light weight of entire unit permits easy, convenient handling for inspection and maintenance. Coarse mesh screen prevents entry of foreign matter into seating area
- Maintains Accurate Pressure SettingsSet points are accurate to within +/- 3% based on weight per area of meanseat diameter.
- Air-Cushioned SeatingA flat, smooth diaphragm of FEP film is supported on both sides of an annular channel to form a floating air seal with the seat. An outer support rim assures proper seating.
Flame and Detonation Arresters provide a positive barrier against the propagation of a flame through a piping system or into a storage tank’s vapor space.When properly specified and installed, the Series 25000/26000 Bi-Directional Detonation Arresters are designed to stop deflagrations, stable detonations and overdriven/unstable detonations. The proven ability to withstand this variety of flame fronts is a key characteristic of a detonation flame arrester. These arresters are bi-directional, able to stop a flame approaching from either direction in the piping system.
END OF LINE FLAME ARRESTERS
The arrester is mounted on the end of a vent pipe from the tank. Vapors are allowed to escape into the atmosphere and air can be drawn into the tank through the specially designed flame arrester grid assembly. If an ignition source outside the tank is encountered, the flame arrester provides protection for the tank contents.
VENT LINE / INLINE FLAME ARRESTERS
Deflagration Flame Arresters are designed to withstand low, medium, and high-pressure deflagrations. These arresters are bi-directional and capable of stopping a flame approaching from either direction in a piping system. Deflagration arresters are required for safety in piping containing flammable vapors, as encountered in vapor recovery or manifolded tank systems. These units are bidirectional, in-line deflagration arresters and can be mounted vertically or horizontally in the pipeline.
When properly specified and installed, the Series 25000/26000 Bi-Directional Detonation Arresters are designed to stop deflagrations, stable detonations and overdriven/unstable detonations. The proven ability to withstand this variety of flame fronts is a key characteristic of a detonation flame arrester. These arresters are bi-directional, able to stop a flame approaching from either direction in the piping system.
- End-of-Line Flame Arresters
- Vent-Line / In-Line Flame Arresters
- Deflagration Arresters
- Detonation Arresters
- ATEX / CE / ISO Approved Flame & Detonation Arresters
- Easy Inspection, Installation and Maintenance. Design and light weight of unit permit easy, convenient handling for inspection, installation and maintenance. The weatherhood is readily removable by loosening just a few extra large wing nuts.
- Automatic Condensate Drainage Vertically mounted, circular plate-type flame arrester is employed for self-drainage of condensate. This prevents accumulation of condensate subject to freezing and consequent clogging of the arrester under low temperature conditions.
- Positive Flame Arresting circular-plate, precisely-spaced, type flame arrester to protect tank contents by preventing the propagation of fire into the tank. Precision embossings on alternate plates provide correct air-spacing for flame arresting function. Plates are fabricated from 1⁄16″ to 3⁄32″ heavy gauge metal, depending on
material of construction,
- Quality AssuranceEach unit is inspected to meet Protectoseal’s high standards prior to shipment.
TANK BLANKETING VALVES
Tank Blanketing Valves are installed with their inlet connected to a supply of pressurized inert gas (usually Nitrogen), and their outlet piped into the tank’s vapor space. When the tank pressure drops below a predetermined level, the blanketing valve opens and allows a flow of inert gas into the vapor space. The blanketing valve reseals when pressure in the tank has returned to an acceptable level. The blanketing gas contains no air. No supply of air (Oxygen) is allowed to enter the tank. The vapors, therefore, never form a flammable mixture.Tank Blanketing Valves help maintain the vapor space in a non-flammable condition, and also provide make-up gas to insure that the tank’s vapor space is not subjected to a vacuum.
PILOT OPERATED TANK BLANKETING VALVE 2”
Protectoseal Series 10, 2″ Pilot Operated Tank Blanketing Valve is designed to regulate the flow of a blanketing gas (usually Nitrogen) into the vapor space of a flammable liquids storage tank. The valve senses the pressure in the vapor space and opens fully when the tank pressure equals the valve’s set point to allow a flow of gas into the tank. When tank pressure returns to near the valve’s set point the flow of gas is stopped. Each unit consists of a main valve which controls the flow of inert gas into the tank, and the pilot valve which accurately senses the tank’s pressure and controls the opening and closing of the main valve.
PILOT OPERATED TANK BLANKETING VALVE 1”
Protectoseal Series 20, 1” Pilot Operated Tank Blanketing Valve is designed to regulate the flow of a blanketing gas (usually Nitrogen) into the vapor space of a flammable liquids storage tank. The valve senses the pressure in the vapor space and opens fully when the tank pressure equals the valve’s set point to allow a flow of gas into the tank. When tank pressure returns to near the valve’s set point the flow of gas is stopped. Each unit consists of a main valve which controls the flow of inert gas into the tank, and the pilot valve which accurately senses the tank’s pressure and controls the opening and closing of the main valve.
SPRING OPERATED TANK BLANKETING VALVE ½”
Protectoseal Series 30, ½” Spring Operated Tank Blanketing Valve is designed to regulate the flow of a blanketing gas (usually Nitrogen) into the vapor space of a flammable liquids storage tank. The Series 30 valve is spring operated. The pressure balanced poppet is held in its closed position by direct spring force. The valve senses the pressure in the vapor space and opens (in opposition to the setting spring force) to allow a flow of gas into the tank when the tank pressure drops below the valve’s set point. When tank pressure returns to near the valve’s set point the flow of gas is stopped. The ½” size is suitable for use on smaller tanks and vessels.
- Series 10 – Pilot Operated Tank Blanketing Valve, 2″
- Series 20 – Pilot Operated Tank Blanketing Valve, 1″
- Series 30 – Spring Operated Tank Blanketing Valve, 1/2′
- Designed specifically for tank blanketing
- Pilot-operated design provides very tight operating band
- Most compact design and fewest external connections of any pilot-operated valve on the market
- Pressure balanced pilot provides consistent opening pressure over the range of possible supply pressures
- A range of flow orifice plates provides the opportunity to tailor flow capacity to individual requirements
- A comprehensive range of materials are offered:Metal parts in 316 Stainless Steel,Seals & gaskets in Buna-N, Neo prene, Viton®, EPDM, Chemraz®
FUEL TANK SAFETY CAPS
The Protectoseal combination safety fuel cap, pressure / vacuum relief device is designed for installation in fuel tank openings of gasoline or diesel-powered industrial trucks and equipment such as forklifts, tractors and airport ground support equipment, The perforated metal flash arrester keeps a flame from entering the tank, thereby preventing explosion of the confined vapors within the tank. Safety fittings provide sufficient pressure relief to prevent tank rupture and sufficient vacuum relief to facilitate gas flow from the tank. The spring-loaded, self-closing cap protects against evaporation losses.
New designs available specifically suited to assist in meeting the regulations outlined in EPA 40 – Part 89 – “Control Emissions from Non-Road Large Spark Ignition Engines, and Recreational Engines – Evaporative Emissions”.
- Sizes: 1 1/2” through 4” NPS and NPT male and female connections, quarter-turn, easy-on flange as well as other common mechanical threads
- Materials: Caps are available in die cast aluminum or cast brass construction
- Test Lab Listings: Underwriter’s Laboratories Listed to the requirements specified in Standard UL 558. Some models specifically designed to help engine manufacturers meet the stringent EPA fugitive emission requirements as outline in EPA 40 – CFR Part 89.
- Manually engaged compression spring latch ensures sealing of the large cap opening at low pressures, while also providing automatic pressure relief if the tank pressure increases beyond normal limits, preventing tank rupture.
- Self-closing, hinged cap design provides vacuum relief to facilitate flow while controlling fugitive emissions at positive pressures below the relief setting. Torsion spring keeps cap closed at all times except when filling.
- Perforated metal flash arrester allows flow of liquid into the tank during filling but prohibits entry of an external flame into the connected fill pipe. Screen also serves as a strainer to prevent particulate matter from entering the tank minimizing fuel contamination.
- Padlock opening prevents theft or unauthorized access. Use of padlock does not impair the automatic pressure relief capability of the spring loaded cap assembly.
- Durable, lead-free finish, color coded to indicate specific industry standard storage application: RED designates gasoline; GREEN to designate diesel.
Specialty Tank Fittings
Miscellaneous equipment required for the safe and efficient operation of storage tanks and related processing facilities.
- Liquid Level Indicator
- Air Dryers
- Gauge Hatches
- Roof Seal System
- Floating Suction Units
- Oil Skimmer
- Internal Safety Valves
- Overflow Valves
- Water Drain Valves