Tank Chime Sealant System
The VISCOTAQ® Chime Sealant Syﬆem is based upon the use of Viscotaq EZ Wrap in combination with the Viscotaq ViscoSealant.VISCOTAQ® is a viscous elastic synthetic material that remains flexible and tacky during its entire life. Since the floor plate of a tank is constantly moving during the filling and emptying process, flexibility and aggressive adhesion are of utmost importance. The VISCOTAQ® Chime Sealant System is used to prevent water infiltration at the concrete ring wall interface of the tank, a place where corrosion normally occurs.
STEP 01: SURFACE PREPARATION
- Remove any loose particles, hand tool clean to minimum of ST2/SSPC-SP2.
- Clean chime surface and concrete ring with compressed air.
- Wipe down area to be coated with Dentatured alcohol or acetone.
STEP 03: INJECT VISCOSEALANT
- Apply the VISCOTAQ® Viscosealant minimum 1inch deep into annular space between steel and concrete ring.
- Use a putty knife to smoothen Viscosealant and make sure no air pockets are present.
STEP 04: EZ WRAP APPLICATION
- Apply EZ Wrap from the floor wall weld (butt up against the weld) to the concrete ring.Allow for ≥2” overlap on concrete ring.
- Continue wrapping on to carrier pipe distance of 10” or more from casing end. Use a seam roller to press the EZ Wrap.
STEP 05: VISCOCOAT EZ
- Apply by brush as a topcoat to the Tape.
- The system can be painted immediately after installation and does not interfere with any future paint, inspection and maintenance programs according to API 653.