Pipeline Encapsulation System
VISCOTAQ is a viscous elastic coating for protection of underground and aboveground substrates. Once applied, VISCOTAQ forms a homogenous, continuous, impervious coating which is self-healing in cases of minimal damages. VISCOTAQ is available in rolls, paste form or as a sealant that is applied from a cartridge. The VISCOTAQ pipeline encapsulation system uses the Viscotaq ViscoWrap in conjunction with an outer wrap to provide long-term corrosion prevention for new and existing pipelines.
STEP 01: SURFACE PREPARATION
- Minimum surface preparation should be ST2/ SSPC-SP2 (Hand Tool Clean).
- Clean surface with denatured alcohol or acetone to remove any remaining dust, grease and mois ture.
- Surface of the substrate should be 5°F+ above the dew point.
- The adjacent coating should be roughened by means of sand paper or a grinding machine (If applicable). Suggested overlap on to the existing pipe coating: < 30” pipelines 4” overlap, > 30” pipelines 6” overlap.
STEP 02: VISCOWRAP APPLICATION
- VISCOTAQ VISCOWRAP is applied by removing the release liner and placing adhesive side on the pipe.Initial wrap should be a straight circumference wrap.
- Once initial straight circumference wrap is completed, wrap with slight tension and a minimum 1/2” overlap.Wrap at an angle to create a smooth overlap.
- For coating repairs and difficult to reach areas VISCOWRAP can be applied in pieces, strips or individual circumference wraps (cigarette wrap).
STEP 03: PVC/PE OUTERWRAP APPLICATION
- Outerwrap should be wrapped with tension and a minimum of 50% overlap.
- First wrap and termination wrap should be a straight circumference wrap.
- A 1⁄4” section of ViscoWrap should still be visible at after the PVC or PE Outer Wrap had been applied.